The Big Bang Theory is an American television sitcom created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady, both of whom serve as executive producers on the series, along with Steven Molaro. All three also serve as head writers. The show premiered on CBS on September 24, 2007. In March 2017, the series was renewed for two additional seasons, bringing its total to twelve, and running through the 2018–19 television season. The eleventh season premiered on September 25, 2017. The series was concluded on May 16, 2019.
The lives of two geniuses named Dr. Leonard Hofstader and Dr. Sheldon Cooper change when they meet their new neighbor; motivated but unsuccessful actress Penny, who now works as a waitress at The Cheesecake Factory. As they struggle socially, Penny decides to help them discover the world that they know everything about, but yet know nothing about how to live in it. Friends Howard and Rajesh are along for the ride.
- Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter
- Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper
- Kaley Cuoco as Penny
- Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz
- Kunal Nayyar as Raj Koothrappali
- Sara Gilbert as Leslie Winkle
- Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler
- Melissa Rauch as Bernadette Rostenowski-Wolowitz
- Kevin Sussman as Stuart Bloom
- Laura Spencer as Emily Sweeney
- In August 2009, the sitcom won the best comedy series TCA award and Jim Parsons (Sheldon) won the award for individual achievement in comedy.
- In 2010, the show won the People's Choice Award for Favorite Comedy, while Parsons won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.
- On January 16, 2011, Parsons was awarded a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical, an award that was presented by co-star Kaley Cuoco.
- On September 18, 2011, Parsons was again awarded an Emmy for Best Actor in a Comedy Series.
- On January 9, 2013, the show won People's Choice Award for Favorite Comedy for a second time.
- On August 25, 2014, Jim Parsons was awarded an Emmy for Best Actor in a Comedy Series.
- The Big Bang Theory also won the 2016 People's Choice Awards for under Favorite TV Show and Favorite Network TV Comedy with Jim Parsons winning Favorite Comedic TV Actor.
- On January 20, 2016, The Big Bang Theory also won the International category at the UK's National Television Awards.